Home of The Underdogs Forum Index Home of The Underdogs
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site reconstruction
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Home of The Underdogs Forum Index -> Comments & Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archibald
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Site reconstruction Reply with quote

Most basic features work. No downloads of any kind yet.

Right now we need help with:
- server space (to host files)
- someone to make a download system with leech protection (programming knowledge required)
- artist to remake part of the layout (in the same style as the current one, so finding right fonts/colours would be needed)

Once the site is fully operational we will need people to fill other roles/task as well, so post if you can contribute someting else.
Bansheguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Happy to have the Underdogs back online! Reply with quote

I posted on Abondonware Ring, about how shocked I was that the site was gone. And how I was willing to work on getting a project going to save old games.

I cant say how happy I am to see the Underdogs back online!

If I can help to keep the Underdogs online, then count me in!

I am not a coder, and cant do graphics if my life depended on it. But I do have some server space and bandwidth I can share. The space and bandwidth are part of my website, on a shared hosting commercial account. I forget exactly how much space and bandwidth I have available, as I have never needed more than about 1% of what I have. Figure half a gig of space available, and substantial bandwidth. The server also has an excellent record of almost no downtime over the past ten years.

So if I can mirror some files, I'll be happy to.

I am also looking into getting broadband in the future at some point. If and when I do, I will also be happy to seed torrents whenever I am online. And I tend to be online much of the time.

Once again, glad to see the Underdogs back online!

Rick R.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bansheguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I would also be interested in storing the old games and data, as a safe backup. I would presently need them shipped to me on CDs or DVDs, as it would take months to download everything thru a dialup connection.

I bring this up, as when the site was gone, I thought all the data was lost forever. And even if the site is back, having the data stored in another location, with someone that can make it available again if needed, just makes good sense. Maybe you already have such plans and people in place. But if not, it is something that should be thought of.

You might also be interested in another idea I had in this line.

There is such a thing as distributed computing. The Underdogs even have such a project themselves. But why not distributed FILES HOSTING?

It would need only a slight modification of the distributed computing software, to allow it to host all of a file, or parts of files, on computers on the network. Then others could download from the distributed network.

Then, rather than one site hosting all the files, and having huge bandwidth expenses, the files and bandwidth would be shared on a large number of PCs around the world, with the Underdogs in charge of the network access.

It would function something like torrents do now, but I believe it would give the Underdogs more control over it, as well as making more space and bandwidth available.

Someone would have to work out the exact details with people that make and understand the distributed computing software. But offhand I see no great problems in adapting that software for file distributing. At least no technical issues. Legal is another matter.

Rick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archibald
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what the plan is Smile Several mirrors to distribute content and here only one blazing fast website to browse reviews.

Thanks for mirror offer, check PM.

Help needed:

- We will probably need people to check games (broken links, etc). I thought about 25 people (one per letter). Let's say you volunteered to took letter "A", then you check all the games starting with the letter A only. There are 5000 games so it would be around 200 games per letter/number. You could also team, like 2-3 people taking one letter if needed.

- Probably we will need poeple to track and upload games (some files are missing). Details on this letter, but if you want to volunteer on this, please post.
Obilar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit, had to register for this. Anyway... I'd like for you guys to take down the reviews I did for Sarinee - Natuk, Nahlakh and Pro Pilkki 2 and Neverwinter Nights (not that the neverwinter nights one is a real review, so I guess that doesn't matter).

Thanks a lot. Smile
nets

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'd like to contribute to HOTU, I can check the links for one letter, I have some free space on a server to share, but beforehand I'd like to know more about this: http://www.hotud.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=87&topic=6.msg195#msg195

Is this "other" site it's reffered, or this is the site Sarinee blessed to follow HOTU?
I don't see point in having two or more Home of the Underdogs sites. We (the community) will hate both sides in charge for letting this happen. So, why are there two sites (if it is the same thing I don't see the reason why both links don't forward to the same destination)?
neo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like this one better...it preserves the look of hotu which i like and i hope this will be THE ONE Smile

and yes i would like to help checking for dead linkz....give me a letter Smile
Razorback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking for volunteers to verify Underdog's game files? I'd be willing to help out, just as soon as downloads become available again.
Doink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: none Reply with quote

I like the idea of two competing sites it will be interesting to see which one fails first Smile

And judging by community size hotu.org has a major lead right now

Edit: does anyone have all the posts from the old forum and is it possible to import them all here
Archibald
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obilar wrote:
Damnit, had to register for this. Anyway... I'd like for you guys to take down the reviews I did for Sarinee - Natuk, Nahlakh and Pro Pilkki 2 and Neverwinter Nights (not that the neverwinter nights one is a real review, so I guess that doesn't matter).

Thanks a lot. Smile

I will remove the ASAP (at the moment I don't have the technical possibility to do it yet, but as sonn as I get it working I will remove them)

But I think you should go to RevivalProject at http://groups.google.com/group/hotu-revival and post there as well, since I use their database. It is better to cut it off at the roots, otherwise your reviews will spread again sooner or later Smile
Archibald
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nets wrote:
Hi, I'd like to contribute to HOTU, I can check the links for one letter, I have some free space on a server to share, but beforehand I'd like to know more about this: http://www.hotud.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=87&topic=6.msg195#msg195

Is this "other" site it's reffered, or this is the site Sarinee blessed to follow HOTU?
I don't see point in having two or more Home of the Underdogs sites. We (the community) will hate both sides in charge for letting this happen. So, why are there two sites (if it is the same thing I don't see the reason why both links don't forward to the same destination)?

What exactly happened
The site was maintained by Sarinee for a long time, then the host went bankrupt. Sarinee decided to drop it and handed the files to the "community" or "public" to revieve it and mentioned on her blog that "I leave the revival in hands of Dan". Then someone created hotud site, reading posts from revival project there was some disagreement and people were a bit angry at the person who created the site because of "something" (I never really understood why they were angry Very Happy).

Then one day I got some free time and went to HotU to hang around, but I noticed the site is no more. Googled it, found the files, recoded it, put the site back online the way it was before. And that's it Smile

As for "hostility" mentioned in the post, I have no clue what it is about, since I never contacted the other site and they never contacted me. Maybe they had in mind the revival project community response?

Anyway, there is no site blessed by Sarinee or Dan so far. Also, there is no one widely accepted and official site.

EDIT: 2014 - it seems HomeOfTheUnderdogs.net is the only one that survived Sad (Hotud has a notice on their site it will be shut down)

Last edited by Archibald on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Obilar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Acharis.

Actually, nevermind the whole thing now, I thought hotud.org was the official version with UD's blessing, somehow lord pall had managed to give most folks on the #underdogs irc channel that feeling. But as you both are on the same level now I don't mind my reviews being around. Bleh, silly me and silly internet. :p
Doink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_of_the_Underdogs

http://www.hotud.org is the official site

Edit: Classic wiki both sites mentioned now

Edit2: Is this site still been worked on?
Archibald
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia corrected, let me know if you notice some other incorrect information.

Yes, the site is still under reconstruction.

Still looking for people willing to correct games (there are plenty of broken links, some games weren't updated for years). If you want to help on this, post.
Doink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acharis wrote:
Wikipedia corrected, let me know if you notice some other incorrect information.

Yes, the site is still under reconstruction.

Still looking for people willing to correct games (there are plenty of broken links, some games weren't updated for years). If you want to help on this, post.

Always support the underdog in any fight and this site is definatly it:-)

should we post dead links and such here?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Home of The Underdogs Forum Index -> Comments & Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: